About the Grantee
Located in Bronx, New York, the Lavelle School for the Blind is a multi-cultural educational institution committed to teaching and training students with visual impairments and additional disabilities. Founded in 1904, Lavelle School for the Blind was originally a Catholic institution, based on the Catholic tradition and the compassion and dedication of the Dominican Sisters of Blauvelt.
As a private, state approved and supported institution, Lavelle School for the Blind educates approximately 150 enrolled students annually from all five New York City boroughs as well as surrounding school districts outside of New York City. Students may enroll as early as age 3 and can continue until age 21.
Purpose of the Grant
Gift in memory of founding Board members.